British Columbia today..


We started out pretty early in the morning and it only took around 2 and half hours to get to the border crossing in to Canada. We were pretty nervous about the whole thing because we were afraid we were going to be selected for a search. The car was packed on the principles of Tetris. One item in the wrong place and we would not have fit anything back into the car. It was worse than a can of sardines back there and we were praying that we did not have to take anything out for any reason!!

But we made it across the border without incident. We both remembered our credentials and we weren't given a hard times about the guns that my boyfriend had brought with him. All in all, it was a very easy crossing. Thank you Lord!!
We stopped on the other side of the border to switch to their funny money and then we headed off down the roads of British Columbia. I found it extremely funny each time I heard someone speak though, they really do say eh? at the end of their sentences!! I don't know why, buy it struck me funny and I had to chuckle each time I heard it. In any case, I channeled my inner tourist and moved on to the sights in Canada. Sights were all we had. Through most of this trip I had no cell service and no internet. I did not appreciate that!!!

Not in Kansas anymore!!
The sights did not disappoint either. There were stunning snow capped mountains and beautiful lakes to stop and take pictures of. That's mostly what we did through Canada, was stop and take pictures of the scenery. It was amazing to be in another country for me. I had never been to another country and although it was just like home, it was totally different.



Gas stations were few and far between here in BC. and we got some glimpses of snow capped mountains here and there in the distance. Gas was by the liter here and was averaging $1.30 a liter. It was costing us twice as much to fill the tank in BC than in the states.







The lakes were so clear! But I was getting real tired of seeing the snow in the distance. I really wanted to get some pictures of mountains with snow up close and personal.








And of course, they didn't let me down!! The mountains were getting closer! How absolutely exquisite they were!!











This one was just for fun....










One of the things we kept seeing as we passed through the country side were signs for Jade. I realized that the green rocks along the hillsides by mines were actually raw jade rocks. I had wanted something made from jade but each place that we came to that had souvenirs was closed. So I stopped along the side of the road, found some raw jade and away we went down the road to find a hotel for the night.

We found a little town named Hope in British Columbia. We were tired and secured a room at the Red Roof Motel. If you ever find yourself in BC in this little town. Do not stay at the Red Roof Motel. Very sketchy place!!! Did not like it there at all and very expensive. But then everything in BC was expensive. Dinner for two a little cafe down the road was almost $40!

In any case, it was a place to rest our heads. We had a very long day ahead of us. We would be driving for 16 hours tomorrow to make it to the next town with lodging and gas. We were keeping our fingers crossed that Smithers, BC was a better town than Hope!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One week on the road! ( Montana, Idaho)

Day 1 (Pennsylvania, Ohio) Cross Country

Going Home